The School will serve as a vibrant intellectual hub and living lab for faculty, graduate students and undergrads. It will provide opportunities for students to have firsthand experience in urban research and contribute to the undergraduate experience by increasing the profile of urban studies research and teaching at the University and engaging undergraduates across divisional boundaries in its research activities.
- Total annual budget: $25,000
- Maximum per event / initiative: $1000
- $10k October to December
- $10k January to April
- $5k May to August
The purpose of the School of Cities’ Education Small Grants Initiative is to support teaching, learning and educational initiatives focused on cities and urban studies and to enhance students’ learning experience as well as faculty curricular innovation, art practice and creative pedagogies. It is open to student groups, clubs and faculty at all three campuses.
Criteria & Eligibility
- Maximum of $1000
- Department, program, student groups, faculty or other formal university organization have to also be a co-sponsor (can be non-budgetary)
- Priority to initiatives, activities, and events that are demonstrated to enhance the student experience, pedagogical innovation, learning and teaching focused on the study of cities from any disciplinary perspective
- Funds can be accessed once per year by each applicant
- Funds must be spent within 6 months of grant award
- Student groups, clubs, faculty and staff are eligible to apply
- Priority given to events and initiatives that are public, accessible and free of charge
- Eligible expenses: room rental, catering, event promotion, travel expenses, honorarium for guest speakers, field trips
- Other expenses to be approved on case by case basis
Rolling requests from September 2018 to August 2019. To request funds, send an email to email@example.com with a maximum 1 page description, including the following:
- Name/date of activity/event or initiative;
- U of T lead(s): Name, Department, College, Student Group
- Description of Activity
- Expected outcome and educational benefit
- Budget – total budget plus proposal for how the School of Cities funds may be leveraged with money from other sources
Responses will be provided within 1 week.
All successful initiatives will be promoted on School of Cities website and through social media, and other communications.
- Acknowledgement of School of Cities support is requested on any printed materials and at events
- Original receipts required for reimbursement
- Following the event, provide a 300 word post-event narrative and summary of outcomes